Ethical Values and Anticorruption
Policy - Guidelines
The Board and CEO of Ekornes ASA
UN Global Compact
Through participation in the UN Global Compact, Ekornes is committed to operating its business responsibly in line with the UN Global Compact’s ten principles, which also cover anticorruption. Ekornes also encourages its business associates to comply with these principles. Ekornes has drawn up a new system with which to assess its suppliers’ performance against the Global Compact’s principles. The system went into effect in 2013.
The UN Global Compact is based on openness, both with respect the company’s dealings with all stakeholders and the challenges Ekornes meets at the local and global level. In 2012 Ekornes joined the UN Global Compact’s Nordic network. Participation in the network enables Ekornes to exchange experiences with other businesses which have social responsibility high on the agenda.
Through the UN Global Compact, Ekornes is obligated to set goals for and work continuously to improve its practices in this area. Each year Ekornes reports its performance to the UN in the form of a Communication on Progress (COP). This may be found on the company’s website under www.ekornes.no/om-ekornes/miljo-og-samfunnsansvar.
Ekornes will conduct its business activities responsibly, and will operate in compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and strict ethical norms. We support, and strive to live up to the UN’s Global Compact. This means that in all parts of our operations we will maintain high standards with regard to:
1. Respect for and compliance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
2. Respect for workers’ rights and needs.
3. Environmental responsibility.
4. Combatting corruption in Norway and abroad.
This document, “Ethical Values and Anticorruption Policy”, as well as “Objectives and Values”, have been distributed to all employees. These regulations have also been distributed to external relations and have been published on the company’s website www.ekornes.no. Ekornes has endorsed the UN Global Compact since 2009. Everyone within the company has a duty to follow up and comply with these regulations. Managers in all parts of the company have a special responsibility for their follow-up.
- ‘Objectives and Values’, company regulations, employment contracts and job descriptions also contain ethical rules with which the Ekornes Group complies. The rules contained in this overview should therefore not be considered exhaustive with respect to the group’s ethical standards.
- A duty of confidentiality contained in company regulations, employment contracts or job descriptions does not prevent you from informing a superior should you become aware of breaches of regulations, legislation or rules laid down by the authorities. This also applies to internal guidelines, provisions or issues that might harm Ekornes’ reputation or other parties’ trust in Ekornes.
- Ekornes shall comply with the laws, rules and regulations in the countries in which Ekornes companies have been established or in which business connections have been established.
- In all contact with suppliers of raw materials, machinery, subsidiary materials and services of any kind, and contact with customers and other business connections, we shall aspire to honesty, integrity, openness, as well as correct and responsible business conduct. The objective is to arrive at the best offer for Ekornes.
- Ekornes or employees of Ekornes shall not be party to “bribery” or its equivalent in order to achieve special advantages or access to such.
- Business connections such as those mentioned above shall not be provided with more information about Ekornes than they need to provide a satisfactory offer with respect to price, level of service, delivery times, technology and specifications, or what they need to exercise their business relationship with Ekornes.
- Suppliers and business connections shall under no circumstances receive information about other suppliers and business connections via Ekornes.
- Employees of Ekornes shall participate in trips, dinners and events arranged by suppliers and business connections only when there is a professional reason for the event/trip or it provides business-related opportunities. In cases of such participation the travel, entertainment and accommodation of employees of Ekornes shall always be paid by Ekornes.
- Employees of Ekornes are not permitted to receive improper benefits or gifts (in the form of products, services or trips, etc) from business connections other than small promotional items of limited value. The same applies to private purchases of goods at discounts from suppliers to Ekornes without the approval of a superior. Individuals must also avoid becoming in any way beholden to customers or suppliers.
- Suppliers and business connections shall be made aware of the contents of this document and also be made aware that any attempt to contravene these ethical rules could result in exclusion.
Accounting and internal control requirements
Ekornes requires transparency in all operations. All Ekornes entities shall therefore ensure that transactions are correctly registered and supported by proper documentation in accordance with local and international accounting principles. Anticorruption law requires that Ekornes has in place effective internal accounting controls and maintains books and records that accurately reflect the companies’ transactions. All entities within the group must correctly account for income and expenditures, and must ensure that payments are not recorded falsely in company books.
All expenses shall be approved under standard company procedures, documented and recorded in accordance with appropriate accounting standards.
Organisation and follow-up
This document, “Ethical Values and Anticorruption Policy”, as well as “Objectives and Values”, have been distributed to all employees. These regulations have also been distributed to external relations and have been published on the company’s website. Ekornes has endorsed the UN Global Compact since 2009. Everyone within the company has a duty to follow up and comply with these regulations.
Managers in all parts of the company have a special responsibility for their dissemination and follow-up.